The mission of South Florida Water Polo, Inc. is to foster the growth and development of the sport of water polo in the South Florida Area Supporting objectives include:
- Provide a world-class training and competition environment for young athletes.
- Hold grass roots clinics for athletes, coaches and referees
- Bring regional, national and international level competitions to South Florida
- Financially support local teams that compete in regional, national and international competitions outside of South Florida
- Conduct an annual event that will recognize excellence and achievement of area athletes, coaches, volunteers, contributors and sponsors.
The South Florida Water Polo Club, formerly known as the Ft. Lauderdale WPC, was formed in 2003 as a non-profit organization to promote the sport of water polo. SFWPC’s purpose is to provide water polo training in the South Florida area and prepare athletes for high school, college and national level water polo competition. SFWPC seeks to benefit no particular high school or area over another and our purpose is simple: provide athletes a place to learn and play the game of water polo. As SFWPC has grown, we find that members of the club have diverse levels of ability, from beginners to former international level athletes. Our task is to bring all the differing skill levels and accompanying desires together into a unified program. Our greatest challenge is to provide an environment for learning that is both enjoyable for the newest athlete and challenging enough for our veterans. As our athletes progress we seek to provide ample opportunity for development so that each of our members may enjoy the sport.
- Conducted clinics for coaches and athletes featuring Olympic coaches and athletes (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)
- Co-hosted the Florida State HS championships (2004)
- Hosted the 2004 USA Water Polo National Junior Olympics (over 250 teams)
- Participated in international exchange programs with teams from Hungary, Jamaica, South Africa and Serbia & Montenegro
- Participated in competitions in Maryland, Missouri, California, Jamaica and Serbia & Montenegro
- Partnered with the City of Fort Lauderdale to host the IGLA water polo competition (2004)
- Hosted the 2005 International Age Group Championship (over 40 teams, 11 from foreign countries)
- Hosted 37 athletes and coaches from the town of Szentes, Hungary for 12 days, during the International Championships
- Hosted Wolf Wigo’s “Tools of a Champion Clinic” March 25 – 26 that drew over 125 area athletes.
- Host of Sunshine State Games
- Brought millions of dollars in Economic impact to greater Ft. Lauderdale
- Host of the Annual Florida International age group tournament with over 50 teams from 9 Nations
- Hosted 2008 Sunshine State Games
- Hosted 7th Annual Florida International Age group Championship, the single event attracted over 50 teams from around the world.
- Hosted Summer International water polo camp with close to 100 athletes participated, along with Summer International Tournament
- Hosted the Florida Open Tournament that brings International Senor men & women teams to Florida.
- Hosted 2010 the 8th International Age group water polo tournament.
- Hosted the 2nd Florida Open Tournament that brings International Senor men & women teams to Florida.
- Hosted 2010 Sunshine State Games The Long list of activity continues today.
Give us a call or stop by at the Pool!
South Florida Water Polo Club
Phone: Michael Goldenberg, 954-806-0481